Triumph Rebuilding Pt. II


Last weekend I went over to Frankie Flood's house for the second day to work on the Triumph Tiger Cub. Every part was taken apart, cleaned, and was now ready to be put back together. I was so excited to go over and get this thing back together, anyone who knows what its like to rebuild an engine will understand the anxiety of a torn down engine can provide. Questions start buzzing around in my head, Do we have all the parts? Will I remember how it all goes back together?

Luckily, the previous owner gave me three different workshop manuals to help with the assembly procedure. 


I love learning about the different mechanical functions of all the gearing and just the overall design that went into the casting. The rear section of the case is wear the transmission is located. The lower separation houses the oil pump. Above that is where the timing plays a factor. On the lower gear, there is a small dot near one of the teeth. You then take the main gear and line that "dot" up to a line scribed into another timing gear.


Making sure everything was properly aligned in the gearbox was a struggle, but we finally managed to sync everything up right.


Brand new gasket set for a freshly rebuilt engine. I thought it was interesting that the two outer gaskets were shipped folded in half. They are paper thin as well! 

(Not exactly what I expected when I ordered them, but hey I guess that was common in the 1960's).


Although we did not get the engine 100% back together I have a feeling that once I get the missing Woodruff key, and various missing (or stripped bolts), assembly will go very smoothly.

Stay tuned to see what happens next week! Who knows, maybe I will even post a video of it running!

Comments