Triumph Tiger Cub Transmission Inspection


I worked on the Triumph minimally this weekend due to working overtime at the museum, but I did have enough time to remove the right inner case again and inspect the transmission. When Frankie and I were putting together the right inner case it felt like the gear selector was very hard to turn. This came after I had to order a new splined shaft that was sold as a "weld on" replacement for the booger-ed up shaft that came with the engine. So Frankie, being the true maker that he is, cut off the old spline, turned the new shaft on his lathe, and welded the new shaft to the old in record time. Frankie had been concerned that maybe the welds were rubbing onto the machined engine surfaces and that was causing it to be so "stiff." 


That being said, I didn't want to risk any damage to this engine, its by first rebuild, I don't want my first rebuild to end on a sour note! The RTV black gasket maker that we applied to the inner case was a real pain to remove, but it gives me confidence that I won't have any leaks if I continue to apply it as well as we did initially. Once I took the right inner cover off I inspected the machined surfaces to find no excessive wear. I then examined the transmission and it appeared that everything was installed correctly according to the shop manuals that were supplied by the previous owner.


So with that I put the inner cover back on and started buttoning up the engine. 


While I was at it I changed out some of the old "tired" looking bolts with some new ones I ordered from Morries Place in Illinois. Working on an old Triumph is beyond frustrating waiting for these bolts to arrive. Everything is British Imperial, so getting bolts is not as easy as running out to your local hardware store.


Fitting the kickstarter spring.



So here the engine rests until the outer case bolts arrive from Morries Place. I figure that my next order will be a large one as I am absolutely getting killed with shipping costs. Word of the wise is whatever you think it will cost you to rebuild an engine, or restore a car, TRIPLE IT. That saying finally makes sense with all the shipping charges I have been charged.

Stay tuned!

Comments