Beer Brewing at our latest MakeShift Adult Evening


At our last MakeShift event (held monthly at the Betty Brinn Children's Museum) we taught guests how to home brew beer, ale, hard cider and kombucha. It was a blast! Everyone enjoyed learning about the process, including myself. I don't drink really at all, but it was interesting learning how it is made and seeing my officemate show me a skill that he was so passionate about. 

Unfortunately I still am no expert on beer making but I will try to annotate the following photographs to the best of my ability.


The air trap that allows fermenting gases out, but does not let any air back into the brew.



The product below Joe used to sanitize all the equipment before we began transferring the beer from the 5 gallon bucket to the carboy. To my knowledge everything must be sanitized in order to prevent other contaminants  from growing in the brew.


Joe, my office mate and master home brewer, in his element. 


The beer that we brewed gets Bill's seal of approval. I tried the beer as well, it was flat and not carbonated yet, but it was good!


This cool little device is a suction pump that helps drain the beer from the 5 gallon bucket into the carboy. We were amazed at how clear the beer was. There was no visible particulates that came through the syphon.


All sealed up and ready to ferment for a little longer!



Comments