Butterfly Spoon?






Now that I have finally buckled down and started organizing my projects in a blog setting, I thought it was time to talk a little about my Butterfly set that I made for my Senior year of college, in Industrial Processes. 

This set developed out of the idea of creating a custom set of flatware. I have always been interested in butterfly knifes, but my parents would never allow me to actually own one so I decided a "Butterfly Spoon/Fork" might be the next best thing.

The utensil part of the assembly is stainless steel that has been hydraulically formed, the red outer shell is anodized aluminum that has been drilled and micro-bolted together with 40 micro bolts  per utensil. The pattern that you see on the inside was laser cut with a 40w Epilog Zing laser, and should be reminiscent of Japanese folding fans that have the same sort of kinetic movement that appealed to me in this project.

Photo Courtesy of: Frankie Flood

To Check out some of the other students work:



Comments