Datsun 260z Seat Reupholstery





You can see the damage to the seats from old age. Clearly they are overdue to be recovered. I could just buy some seat covers from Target, Walmart, or any other department stores but then I would miss out on the valuable learning experience, not to mention, I have always thought that seat covers make your car look "cheap" and if I am going for restored classic, reupholstery is the only way. 





In the above photo you can see what I came across when I pulled the old covers off the foam. On top of the foam, on the back support there was coco liner that had some green mold, or powdery substance EVERYWHERE. Not knowing if this was dangerous or not, I made sure to use a MSA Respirator to protect my lungs. 


The most important thing that I found when redoing the complex geometry was to keep the old set as templates giving myself an extra 1/4"-1/2" to account for sewing two pieces together. Another helpful trick was to keep all the piping that is used, because it can be reused.







Progress...



The finished product. Not bad for my first time at reupholstery now just to finish the rest of the interior and some fresh paint, and we might have a show car on our hands.

Comments