BAM found a new friend


Today while I was outside in the Be A Maker rooftop garden I noticed two little caterpillars munching on our parsley. I was shocked considering that we really haven't had any pests this spring/summer. Seeing this caterpillar in the garden really brought me back to when I was a kid collecting them and and taking my discoveries to the "Butterfly Lady" who would occasionally take my caterpillar and trade me a chrysalis in exchange.

As soon as I saw this little guy eating away I immediately thought monarch caterpillar, but after taking it back to my desk and looking online, I actually discovered that we have a black swallowtail caterpillar. They are the butterflies that are all black with blue accents on their lower wings. 

Spectacular!

I will continue to monitor the caterpillars, hopefully down the line I can record the transformation from chrysalis to butterfly via a time lapse video.

Stay tuned!


Comments