Datsun Carpet Installation


Well this is how far I got from a few weeks ago installing that Quick Roof material to act as a sound deadener. This morning I quickly finished up covering the floors and then started mocking up where all the carpeting would go. I purchased the "pre-cut" carpeting off ebay and they advertised that this was a direct replacement for 70-78 Datsun 240z, 260z, 280z.


In the photograph above I pulled the center console up in order to figure out where to attach the parking brake cover. I created this cover with extra fabric from the seats and it has been sitting in my room for weeks. I am glad I finally had an opportunity to install it today.


I used a red marker to mark the spacing on the four clasps. Using those 4 red marks I punched a hole in the carpet, attached the male side of the clasp and began forming the carpet to the car using an automotive high tack spray adhesive to ensure everything stays put. 





Some areas were pretty tight and required me to cut slits into the carpet and backer in order to get everything to lay flat. The above view is from the center console. I had a very hard time making sure the carpet covered the whole floor. The first time when I put the center console back on, there was a 1" area that was exposed metal. It looked sloppy, so I pulled the carpet off and retried. The second time it went on much better.


I have to say I am a little disappointed with the quality of this carpet set. Especially on the center console the contours of of the carpet. I just could not line up with the contours of the car. Maybe this is user error (as it was my first time doing this), however I really believe that the tolerances were not correct. Maybe next time I order carpeting I will spring for the nice form fitted kits out there. Despite the frustration, I am very pleased with how the loop carpet looks!



Almost looking show ready.

All black everything. A little over a month before Stance Nation presents: Park After Dark, its too early to say if I will be able to bring the 260z or the R60/6 but I am going to keep plugging away. Next up is to get some new rotors and work with the brake system!

Comments