Get Angry


As most of you are well aware of, I hate letting my hands be at "idle." I love doing things with my hands and keeping my mind active. One of my many skills is carving. I feel as though this is a skill that has been in my blood since birth. The reason being is I can still remember going down to GermanFest with my Oma and Opa where I would carve "toothpicks" for all the pretty women, while my Opa would carve them beautiful edelweiss. The funniest thing about this whole thing is that in retrospect it probably wasn't the best idea to give a young kid like me a knife and expect me not to cut myself. I probably cut myself more than the wood in some cases! I would give just about anything to have more time with my Opa and to be with him and teach me how to be a better carver. As some of you know he passed away last year January 8,  and the day before my birthday was the funeral. It was a tough year.

Well I have put down the knife and picked up his chisels in order to carve woodcuts. Back in college I apprenticed under Raoul Deal, a phenomenal professor/activist/woodcut artist who made MASSIVE prints. It was really through Raoul that I was reintroduced to wood as a medium for carving, and ever since then I have been hooked. 

I will be sure to post more of my prints in the future!

Stay tuned to see it finished and printed!


Comments