Mainspring Manifesto



Mainspring (n)

[meyn-spring]

1. the principle spring of a watch

2. the chief motive power; the impelling cause

It's about time that I finally explain the meaning behind the title. I have been planning on writing this post for weeks now, and couldn't think of a better time. Above you will find the textbook definition of what exactly a "main" spring is.

Digging deeper into the metaphorical meaning of why I chose Mainspring, it reveals that a wound up spring has so much kinetic and potential energy, although it requires putting in the time and effort into adjusting it quite right. Once adjustments are made, it has the power to create fundamental change. I hold myself to that standard, and continue to create and work in pursuit of bettering myself and bettering my design skills. The mainspring is such a simple mechanical device, just a twisted piece of spring steel, which is what I love about it. Design should stay simple, and its important that we remember the past as we continue towards the future.

Throughout this blog you will see my ideas turn into projects and my day to day experiences that inspire me to be a designer.

Thank you for listening.

Comments