Salvaging PC parts


A few days ago one of my coworkers offered if I wanted to take some heat sinks home to use for casting. I obviously could not refuse the free metal! As you can see from the photos below, these were some pretty hefty PC heat sinks.

All in all, I was able to salvage over 2700 grams of aluminum, and 1680 grams of copper! I am very proud of my haul! In fact, the first thing my dad thought of making with the aluminum was a pair of "Aluminum" knuckles!

You are probably wondering what my plans are with all this metal, and my response to that would be, that I plan on using this metal to get back into making tattoo machines. I have tons of 10 wrap coils and 8 wrap coils for shaders and liners respectively that I would love to assemble, but lack the frames. Who knows, maybe I will design some machines that incorporate the micarta scale into the aluminum/copper frames!

Stay tuned!



I started by ripping off all the aluminum fins from the copper base.


There were two rivets on either side of the area the processor sat that needed to be drilled out to release the copper from the cast aluminum piece.

The last thing I had to do was hit the back of the copper with a hammer and pry the copper from the aluminum. It was as easy as that!

Comments