Bloodwood Plugs


Bloodwood Plugs


Due to the success of Yvette's plugs, after I took her home for the night I decided to try my hand at turning again. I honestly haven't really touched this lathe since my Dad had his heart attack over two years ago. But like riding a bicycle, I don't think turning is something you forget how to do,

or at least lets hope.

The first thing I did besides turning a piece of square stock round was measured out my plugs length and made clear divisions of each plug with my cut off tool (a.k.a a modified lawnmower blade).


I then used a bowl gouge to give the rough shape of each plug. I always try to make multiple plugs because I take pride in trying to get these things within hundredths of an inch (.01) of each other and I know inevitably I might turn one or two down too far.


At this point I made a small notch in the same position on three of the four plugs. That fourth plug sadly was turned too small and thus unusable.


The first two seemed to have the most promise so I sanded and then finished them with some 
Vitamin E oil.



To get rid of that small little "nipple" on the end I re-chucked the plugs in a smaller chuck 
and sanded them flat. 


The finished product! I am very pleased with the results, and again, not to shabby for the first time I really have turned anything in two years!


Comments