Brake Master Cylinder Install


This past friday I got a brand new brake master cylinder in to replace the failing unit that I had on the car. I installed a brake master cylinder on an old 280zx that I owned a year or two back so it was fairly straight forward. Remove the brake lines going to each cylinder, then remove the two nuts holding the master cylinder to the brake booster, switch the units, reinstall all the hardware and your done!

At least.... 

Done switching the faulty part with the new part.

BUT 

The real hard part is jacking up the car to remove all the air that I just introduced into the hydraulic system. For this I had to get my Dad to sit in the car and pump the breaks while I ran around to each bleeder screw opening and closing them to remove any trapped air bubbles. Now according to the craigslist mechanic that I was working with because the brake booster is operated based on engine vacuum so the engine needed to be running.

I got it all done starting with the two rear bleeder screws, then the fronts, and ending with the two at the cylinders. If I remember correctly this is what is recommended in the 260z FSM.

Once all was said and done I took the car for a spin for the first time with the new springs and struts. It definately made a difference, well worth the investment!




Comments