Build a Day: Rock Island MFG. CO.


If you have read previous posts you will know that one day I came home from work and discovered that my Uncle Rick dropped off an old vice that was a family heirloom that was rusting away on his porch.

In a previous post regarding this vice I mentioned that this vice probably weighed about 35 to 50 pounds. My Dad was curious and pulled out the bathroom scale. It turns out that this vice does not weigh anywhere close to 35-50lbs, in fact it weighs a whopping 120lbs!


I started taking things apart starting with the handle. I was very surprised when I took it to the wire wheel and saw shiny, cast iron gleaming through the years of rust. 


I flipped the vice over and removed the screw in the base that held the adjustable base.



Took it to the wire wheel and below is the outcome of just a few minutes at the wheel. I should mention that if you look very closely you can see that there is some rust yet deep inside the part. This is the wire wheel's downfall. It is extremely difficult to get into tight areas like this, which is why the wire wheel although isn't ideal, its all I had to work with today.

Other processes that I might try in the future to remove rust on old tools (or my 260z) are electrolysis or sandblasting. 



All done, all completed in less than 12 hours making it the first Build a day project. Stay tuned for more one day projects!

Comments