Craftsman Lathe/Atlas 109

 I have been admiring a pile of parts over at Chad's house for some time now. In particular his 3 jaw self centering chuck for his Craftsman lathe. Well today was the day that he sold me the lathe although it was mostly taken apart, I didn't mind. I taking machines apart, cleaning and then putting them back together. Luckily, I purchased one of these lathes years ago for $300, which was WAY to much for what it was. This lathe I purchased for a fraction of the price and I believe was more fair for what it was. As soon as I unpacked my Dad's car, I brought all the parts down to the workshop and began cross referencing how parts went on my other lathe. I got most of it back together minus a few gears, but will work on it more tomorrow.


This little piece goes in the x carriage and is what enables the carriage to move at the turn of the dial.




Notice the precision shim that goes on the right side of the carriage assembly.




 Ummmm, which gear goes where?

To my knowledge some of these gears are used for cutting threads on the lathe, but all I can say is that I am so glad I had another lathe here to look at to get the gears correctly aligned.


Y carriage leadscrew assembly


Comments