Curly Maple Burl Plugs


Another Pair of plugs starting out as a raw chunk of wood. This wood was from a triangular cutoff of some wood that I purchased my Dad for christmas a few years back. Its not to often that I get to work with a burl, and it definitely takes some getting used to. The reason a burl is formed is when a tree suffers traumatic stress/damage, often a burl will form where the grain of the wood swirls in all directions making it somewhat unpredictable, but SOOOO beautiful when it is polished.


Centering the work piece.


Uh oh! I originally wanted to create two sets, but unfortunately as I was dividing the pieces, the whole piece cracked sending it across the basement floor.

Bummer.



Establishing the rough shape.


I then applied the oil finish which really brought out the swirling grain.


All finished and ready to give away!

Comments