Datsun Custom Grill


The car show really motivated me to get some work done on the Datsun. I spoke with Frankie weeks ago now about possibly making a new front grill. It just seems aesthetically unfinished having the front grill just stop suddenly. So to solve this, I purchased 18 bars of 6061 aluminum to cut, weld and assemble into my own custom grill.

First things first, I had to take off the OEM grill.


It is held on with 6 screws that I put into a sandwich bag and labeled "Datsun Grill."


Now on to the workshop to cut the aluminum.


I figured out using a protractor that the factory grill is angled at 10 degrees, so I found the center of the bar stock, and using the same protractor, measured 5.5 degrees from both sides to give myself a 10 degree angle.


It was then as easy as cutting the notch, and then bending the bar stock which perfectly matched the stock grill. I will then tig weld the finalized angle, but that's for a different day.


 All finished, now just to weld them together.


Comments

Post a Comment