Heston & Anderson Bandsaw Restoration


The majority of my afternoon was spend working on this accident waiting to happen. 

This is a Heston & Anderson C frame bandsaw that I got from Chad this morning. He told me that his friend had given it to him because he knew that he liked working on old tools, and Chad passed it on to me. I have been in love with the design of these bandsaws ever since I saw Shane Whitlock's Mint/Black, beautifully restored 36" wheel bandsaw. Ever since seeing this bandsaw I have always wanted to have my own. The way I rationalize why I love the look of this machine is how closely it resembles a tattoo frame to me.


This is what I will be going for in this rebuild, but of course a smaller, more manageable size.


Do you see the resemblance to the C-frame of the bandsaw?




First thing I did was took a little bit of (0000) Steel wool and polished the table. 


Starting with the table I removed the four screws holding the table to the adjustment bracket. 


Once the table was off I made sure to get all the dirt, grease, and sawdust off the table.


The adjustment bracket came loose by loosening the knob in the back.


The top wheel was easy to get off just by removing one set screw and oil keeper.




All the pieces were cleaned, sanded to remove loose paint flakes, and primed with automotive primer.



Going for that Shane Whitlock aesthetic I went to the local Home Depot to pick up some mint paint.


The top wheel was drilled through in multiple areas so I made sure to remove all stuck saw dust and grease from the holes before spraying the primer.


Primed.


The bottom wheel was being difficult so I decided to just leave the shaft attached.


Primed.


The frame is now a lovely mint color, I will probably go back and retouch any missed spots tomorrow night.


Comments