Yvette's Plugs


 Yvette came over last night to finish some plugs she started on my Delta lathe. The first night she came by I showed her some various species of woods such as bloodwood, lignum vitae (tree of life), walnut, some burls, etc. She decided on the Lignum Vitae (with the bloodwood a close second), and who can blame her, I love working with this wood because of its beautiful grain, not to mention it smells wonderful when its turned.



Easily one of the most satisfying moment of the turning process is applying the oil. For plugs I suggested that we use Vitamin E oil because it is the most natural oil I had and shouldn't cause any irritation. And for something that is going to be worn, the last thing I want is the wearer to be uncomfortable! 

As soon as Yvette applied the oil the wood became a deeper, richer color. We turned the lathe off and took a look, and no ridges or imperfections. Not to shabby for Yvette's first time turning!


Here she is using a hollowing gouge to give the face of the plug a slight indentation on the front.


Here is a picture of just one of the finished plugs. I am very proud that I could help her and get such good results!

Comments