Curly Maple Cutting Boards


Yvette came to me weeks ago with the desire to make a cutting board as a gift. That then turned into three cutting boards, one massive cherry cutting board and two smaller curly maple cutting boards.


After everything had been glued and cut down to the correct size, I set Yvette up with the router table to give the edges a nice round-over. 


Yvette was a little too short to see the top of the cutting board, so we had to find a scrap piece of wood to boost her up a little.


For sanding, we started with 80 grit, then went up to 120 grit, and finally 220 grit paper.


Here she was using the orbital sander to make sure all the edges were nice and smooth.


I purchased two of these Butcher Block Conditioners (one for Yvette and one for myself) from the local home improvement store. The product is a great value for what you get. The product is a blend of Vitamin E Oil, Mineral Oil, Carnuba Wax, and Bees Wax all for under $10, and it will last me a long time. I may even decide to use it on my body jewelry!


So close to being finished, Yvette is applying the oil. This is always my favorite part of the project, it makes it all worth it, once the oil is applied the grain just pops!


Especially with the full figured curly maple, the areas of high density and lower density wood almost give it a "holographic" effect when you turn the board to the light.


Two more coats of the finish and these cutting boards will be ready for use.


Yvette did a beautiful job on all three of her cutting boards, I am sure whoever she gives them to will be very happy with her quality and crafts(wo)manship!

Comments

Post a Comment