Faux Turquoise Plug


I stopped over to the local exotics store this past weekend to pick up some acrylic to turn. I have turned acrylic before but been turned off by the dreadful smell. Well the good news is that the turning acrylic doesn't release any toxic fumes (according to the sales person at the store, unlike some of the exotic woods that I have probably turned without a mask. Oops!)

Well live and learn.


Starting out with a small pen blank that I picked up for about $2.


Acrylic cuts differently than wood, but instead more like aluminum. 


Almost down to the target width.


This is what happens when you get a little too cocky, and feel too comfortable around the lathe. As I was turning I caught an edge of the material too close to the chuck. The material grabbed the chisel and because I was too close to the chuck, it hit the chuck taking a bite out of the chisel!

Frustrated I kept going. I will have to come back some other time to re shape this gouge on the grinder.


The rough shape has been determined.


All finished, looking like glass!


Comments