Getting back to basics



This block has some history behind it. I actually started this block a little more than two years ago, but let it sit in the basement until Yvette asked about it a few days ago. The meaning, or should I say the significance of this block, was that I began it the day after I heard word that my Dad had a heart attack. 

I was so frustrated, confused, even sad about the experience that I didn't know what else to do with myself besides express myself through art.

The actual composition has changed from my original intent, but originally what I was planning was to carve a owl with its heart exposed. My rationale behind my thinking was that my Dad is such a source of wisdom and intelligence, similarly to the owl. Its heart being exposed signifying that an important life event occurred.

Everything was done freehand though, and I didn't have good reference photos or a good plan on how to finish. I have since decided to change the composition to a hawk, and work on my mark-making technique.


Uh-oh...

I can honestly say this is the first jigsaw blade that I have ever broken. 

Well.

Off to the Hardware store (again).



Now that it has been completely cut out, time to finish this piece.

Comments