Metal Forming Stakes


Yvette lent me a book a few days ago pertaining to metal forming. In the back of the book there was a section on tools that could be made simply for the budget minded metalsmith. The author didn't supply any patterns though, bummer.

But that is ok!

I asked Yvette to borrow her book just long enough to take a photo of the page and size up the patterns accordingly to have to scale silhouettes of the stakes (shown above). Next time I have a day off, or when I can take some time off, I will run out to Midland Plastics to get some Delrin or HDPE cutoffs in order to cut out a set for her!


Delrin or HDPE is a perfect material to use for these stakes because it resists impacts because it is so dense, but from what I have learned at working at the Betty Brinn Children's Museum, (HDPE anyway) is incredibly easy to machine with a router.


From all the stakes that I have been looking at it appears that the easiest way to achieve the form is to print out my patterns, but out the plastic, and give all the hard edges a once over with a round over router bit.



Here you can see a woman using the plastic to form the metal.


Comments

  1. the large chunks of gray PVC that Midland usually has will be perfect for these. check out the post on scott dennison on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment