Time alone in the shop


After work today I asked my Dad to pick me up and bring me back to brookfield. I have had a lot on my mind recently and just needed to keep my hands busy and my mind stimulated. 

What better way to do that then make some super rad stuff?

So I had some dinner with my parents and was off to the hardware store. My list was somewhat short:

-Get a Walnut board
-Get the supplies to build a second Fire Cannon
-Get some baltic birch plywood to use for block prints


First things first, I ripped the walnut board down into 3/4" strips.


And cut them down into 16.5" strips


I pulled out some hardwood maple off the wood pile to compliment the darker walnut.


The maple was a similar thickness, but I decided to pull out the DeWalt planer to get everything to the same thickness.


All the strips are ready to be glued.


I am shooting for a cutting board that is roughly 16 inches square, but sadly the planar can only do about 9 inches (safely) so I will have to glue these in two sections.


I have never used this glue before, and am slightly hesitant how the label implies that the glue is "water-resistant" not "water-proof." I'm sure it will be fine once the finish is sealing the wood.



The little glue beads are a good sign that the wood is fully saturated with glue and that I will have a good tight seal. The glue bond takes 24 hours to fully cure, so I am sure that by the weekend you will see pictures of the finished project.

Comments