1968 Triumph Tiger Cub Carburetor Rebuild


Well its official, I have become the new owner of a 1968 Triumph Tiger Cub Motorcycle/Dirt bike!


As you can see the bike needs a lot of work, a complete overhaul in fact, but it is a good starting platform for what I paid for it.


The rims need to be rechromed, but should at the very least be cleaned up with some steel wool.



I look forward to reupholstering the seat with my Mom again. We made a great team doing the seats to my Datsun, and I remember her thinking before we started the seats "That a motorcycle seat seems way simpler."

Well here we will find out!


I picked up some engine cleaning brushes from Harbor freight last week to clean up the fins of the BMW, but I think they would work perfectly to "de-gunk" the Triumph.




The air cleaner was missing from the carburetor, but left foam residue around the intake port. I will be sure to get all this debris clean before starting the bike for the first time.


What was great about this purchase was that the owner supplied me with most of the parts to completely rebuild the engine AND gave me not one, not two, but THREE manuals (Owners, Parts, Workshop manuals).


Moisture and dirt got into the float bowl, definately the worst I have ever seen.


In addition to all the dirt and grime, but the carburetor slide was seized in the chamber just like the BMW. It looks as though a previous owner had similar issues and chipped the slide with a screwdriver or similar. This may cause issues with air metering.


The float had some gasoline varnish sticking to the plastic, but nothing a little carb cleaner and nylon bristled brush couldn't remove.


This is the level of gas and muck that was at the bottom of the float bowls. I was able to get all of this clean soaking the bowl in carb cleaner and some elbow grease.


All in all it was a very productive night, one small component finished, next up is rebuilding the engine which will take place over the course of multiple blog posts I am sure.

Stay tuned!

Comments