Carving a Block Print

 Last night I continued to work on one of many unfinished block prints that clutter my room/studio. This print will be 2"x4" and showcase two falcons fighting, surrounded by beautiful flowers and an old school looking banner. I thought it would be interesting to document my process and show that I usually never have everything mocked up before I dive right into carving. Most printmakers that I know, or see online, have the whole design drawn in marker and they only carve out the negative space. 

I cannot do that, something in me possesses me to just work intuitively and carve out whatever "doesn't look right."

You know its funny, my Opa would always answer the same way when people asked him, "But how do you know what to carve and what to leave?"

I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.


Close up detail of the wing.


Comments