Reviving a German Classic


Last night I stopped by my old Managers' house to see their new Volkswagen project. They purchased a bus earlier this summer, but now they just picked up their second Bus/camper. They found the new bus (the one on the right) in Racine, which is the same place that I found my 260z.

I have never really been interested in Volkswagens, let alone the bus, because of its large size I can just imagine what my parents would say if I brought a bus to put in their garage. I would never hear the end of it! But ever since my college professor, Frankie Flood had a VW Single Cab and how passionate he was about it, maybe I could see myself with a Volkswagen eventually.


Despite several issues with pieces missing, Jimmy told me that he tried starting the bus days ago with no luck. I was skeptical myself of the engine turning over upon first looks as well, and showed him the trick to figure out if you are getting a spark from the spark plugs. I pulled a plug, attached it to the spark plug boot, and held it close enough to the frame while Jimmy cranked the engine. The crank pulley spun freely, but no spark from the plug. No Spark makes me believe that the problem lies in the ignition system somewhere, potentially ignition coil, mouse chewed wiring, or bad plugs.

(My guess is a combination of mouse chewed wires/open connection)

Jimmy told me that the plan was to take the distributor cap, plugs and other parts that he purchased for the other bus to move over to this engine. I think that is a great place to start and looking forward to hear this bus running soon!


All the interior has been gutted and ready to be redone. Jimmy and Sarah purchased some insulation for the doors and new laminate flooring to lay down on the floor. I cannot wait to see how it turns out.


"Say No to Drugs" on the back bumper seems fitting to be on a Volkswagen bus.



I also came over with my MIG welder to let Jimmy try and weld in two new panels to the bus. It looked like either the previous owner cut out some rust patches and never got around to welding in new panels, or the previous owner had some sort of appliance that needed outside access. 

Strange indeed.

Comments