Triumph Seat Restoration


Once I got the Seat covering off of the seat pan and foam, I began to use each individual panel to trace onto the new material in order to get my dimensions/proportions right.


The outline was drawn onto the back of the vinyl in pen.


The side panels were made from two segments of vinyl that was sewn together in a loop. So after ripping these two sections apart i transferred the patterns(i.e. the old seat) to the vinyl remembering to give myself ample room for seams and what will later get stretched under the seat and clipped.



My Mom didn't trust me with the piping so she went into the other room to sew the cording inside the vinyl while I kept transferring the old seat to the new material. 

Side Tangent: The reason she didn't or "shouldn't" trust me with her machine is that the last time she helped me with the Datsun seats, we (meaning mostly "I") was responsible for some unforeseen damage occurring to her machine. We found out later from the sewing shop that her machine really isn't meant for sewing together such large, thick pieces of vinyl/foam/canvas. It also probably doesn't help that the piping in the Datsun seats was made of a hard plastic. The needle would occasionally come crashing down on the plastic, which jammed the motor/gearing causing internal damage.


Mother/Son bonding time. Thank you so much Mom for always being supportive of my projects even if they maybe strewn throughout your house, I really appreciate that you are always interested in what I am working on, and ALWAYS willing to lend a helping hand if I should get stuck!


My Mom left to make dinner and entrusted (thats a scary thought) me with her sewing machine to sew the piping around the top panel of the seat.


Oh No!

It is always a miserable feeling when you get to the very end and you think everything is sewn together and then realize for the last 2 feet it wasn't sewing due to the bottom bobbin had run out of thread.


This little guy was empty so I had to fill it up with the top bobbin.


It is a simple process, just follow the instructions stamped on the machine and running the thread to the bobbin is no problem.


Well I had to go back and do what I just did again.


Looking good, I still have more to go like silk screening the "Triumph" emblem on the back of the seat, but I am overall very pleased with what $25 made me. Next time you see this seat it will probably me all attached to the bike, stay tuned!

Comments