Triumph Seat Teardown


As you might be aware of if you are an avid reader, I got another motorcycle to the disappointment of my loving mother. But that being communicated, that one way to get my Mom on board with the Triumph is to do some Mother/Son bonding over the sewing machine. 

I honestly loved sewing the Datsun's seats with my Mom. I told her this weekend that it was probably one of the most enjoyable car repairs thus far, spending time with her, and showing me something that she is really good at.

So with a Motorcycle seat it should be no problem for our dynamic duo.


First thing's first let me show you the damage to the old seat and why it needs to go.


The left side of the seat looked as if it was chewed on.


There were also portions of the vinyl that was just dry rotted and cracked, not to mention the vinyl smelled terrible and there were signs that a small animal might have been using it as a home. (But more about this later).


There was a small trim piece near the bottom of the seat that cleverly concealed 20 or so metal clips.


I carefully pried the clips off one by one to release the old vinyl cover from the seat pan.



Gross right?

As I was carefully pealing the seat off I found remnants of sunflower seeds and bug carcasses. Possibly mouse home? I have a guess that this bike was primarily kept outside or in a pole barn of some kind. (More on the backstory in a different post, and I assure you it is an interesting one). 


I might have broken a few clips while taking the seat cover off but most are usable.


All taken apart! The foam is a little dry in parts but I think it is mostly salvageable so I will not be re cutting a foam bad this time.


The seat pan will be grinded down and re coated with primer and paint before re-assembly.

Comments