Buckthorn Bow Tie!


This week at work I told my coworker Sedrick that I would make a few wooden bow tie "prototypes" for him to test out, and I do not aim to disappoint. You know, its funny, I started this process on Saturday morning after Yvette asked to see the wooden bow ties to which I showed her one of the 1/4" flat bow ties. Without even asking for a open critic (which I absolutely love how open she is!), Yvette had no problem suggesting that the flat bow ties should have "more body." Initially I was a little taken back, not expecting her response. Well long story short, I ended up taking her advice and making the bow ties a lot thicker and gave them some shape.


Sedrick has this idea of a brand all about finding beauty in imperfections, hence the name "Perfect Imperfection." I dug up some walnut, buckthorn, and driftwood that had some interesting flaws, and started rough shaping them on my Opa's bandsaw.


Let me preface this next section by stating that I have never carved wood in the manner I used on these ties. I used the small chisels that I always use to carve block prints in the round. I actually found it easier than using a carving knife just because I probably have hundreds of hours carving block prints under my belt already, and not as much practice with a knife. You know I always think to myself that my biggest regret in life is not being more interested in having my Opa teach me how to carve wood before he passed away. Now I am left with all these tools and fumbling through teaching myself how to use them.


One down, two to go! The above bow tie is made from Buckthorn and features some bark inclusions near the top of the bow tie.


Comments