Mobius Strip Moldmaking


I have been on this Mobius strip kick lately and decided to try and 3D print one as a take away item for our February MakeShift. Our events theme will be "things made with concrete," so this 3d printed part will eventually be cast out of concrete.

I found this really great instructable, found here, that gives the formula for using inexpensive 100% silicone caulk found at your local home improvement store, Glycerin, and cornstarch to create silicone molds.


Well the mix of the above materials must not have been quite right because my mold never dried. 
Sooo....

My Plan B was to go to Michaels and get one of their silicon-rubber mold kits.


This time the pre mixed kit worked perfectly. I left the mold to dry overnight,


I had a little bit of extra silicon left over and didn't want to let it go to waste, so I grabbed a little Heroclix from my childhood and placed that in as well.


When I came back in the morning to pry out the heroclix from the mold, I found that the mixture was not thoroughly mixed so it never dried on the bottom. I think this mold will still work for what I am using it for because there is probably at least 1/8" of material around the whole model.

Comments