1965 Ducati Monza Junior 160cc


Here it is, the 1965 Ducati Monza Junior 160cc engine that I recently acquired. This engine I purchased for next to nothing due to the internal work that it needs. I presume that the rest of this bike was used for parts for another old Ducati, the engine left over due to a seized piston.


Other than the seized piston though, I am very hopeful that the rest of the engine will go smoothly. On the Tiger cub, the deeper and deeper I went into the engine I kept finding stripped bolt heads, chipped gears, etc. 

On this motor, everything looks mechanically sound, my guess is the previous owner might have had the top end off or exposed to the elements which just rusted the cylinder shut.


I love the accents of brass throughout this engine. All the parts will be cleaned with simple green to take off the years of dirt and oil.


The top end still spins freely, but needs a good cleaning.


It is so satisfying polishing up dirty old parts and placing them back onto the engine to compare what the engine 'looked like' to what it 'will look like.' You can see in the photo above the Desmo drive shaft coupler looks brand new in comparison to the rest of the engine.


The oil pan bolt is actually made of brass, not that you would be able to tell from the above photo. I first used my bucket full of simple green to remove as much oil and grease as possible before moving onto the wire wheel to bring it back to its former glory.


Ah much better...


Bags are starting to add up. A helpful tip that I have learned throughout all these rebuilds is to make lots of notes and bag up all small parts.


Stay tuned to see how this rebuild goes, hopefully no further headaches!

Comments