Dellorto Ducati Carburetor Rebuild


I forgot to post this awhile back, but I have recently been working on a Ducati Monza rebuild simultaneously with the Triumph Tiger cub rebuild.


The carburetor that came on the engine was missing all the throttle cable and air horn (velocity stack), and even worse the slide was seized in the cylinder. With my limited experience with working on old motorcycles, I have realized that this is a fairly common problem with motorcycles that sit for an extended period of time. Its primarily due to old gas just turning to varnish and gumming up parts. 


The first thing I did was to use some carburetor cleaner to try and penetrate that varnish. Then with a flat blade screwdriver I very carefully wiggled the carburetor slide until it moved freely. There was a little bit of gas/water/muck in the external float bowl but nothing a little bit of carb cleaner couldn't get rid of.


I took as many parts as I could off and cleaned the carburetor with the scratch wheel and buffing wheel.


It looks like a brand new carburetor, well sort of. I can't wait to get everything back together and put another engine under my belt.

Stay tuned!

Comments