Building a 3D Printed Radial 5 Engine Pt. 1


I recently found the plans to build Forest Edwards Radial Five engine after some time of searching for basic to advanced projects that i could turn on my new metal lathe. I figured that this was the perfect opportunity to go through the motions and model all the parts in Rhinoceros. 

Brush up on my modeling skills.


As you can see I have only a few pieces done, cylinder sleeves that will eventually be made from cast iron are in yellow, cylinders are in green and will be turned out of 7075 Aluminum, and finally connecting rods are in green. Sadly when the yellow sleeves were printing the filament bound, and stuck making the print loose calibration. To remedy this I will be breaking these sleeves and re-gluing them to fit into the cylinder.


I also had the time to print all 10 valves and valve retainers. Valves are in pink and will be made out of stainless steel, and valve cotters are made from 7075 Aluminum and in yellow.


Little baby valves. I am actually very impressed by the print quality of them. I believe I used a 0.2 mm layer height.


Stay tuned!

Comments