First Completed Calavera


Printmaking is a relaxing past time that I have that allows me to give my undivided focus too, and it also helps me feel as though I am following in my Opa's footsteps as a woodcarver. I feel as though it would be what he would have wanted.

Last weekend I had some time to devote to finishing one of three calavera wood blocks that I am working on. It always is a slow process once I get near the end of carving a block I never want to mess up or add the wrong details that I will regret later. Indecision sets in, and for the most part, all of my woodcuts are done freehand, I do not have a set idea in my mind, nor do I completely have a design formulated before I start carving. Instead, I find that for my process if I approach each block organically and adapt to what the wood allows me to do. 

Aside from the hippie mumbo-jumbo, its true! The grade of plywood that I use definitely is not the best and when I run across a stubborn knot in the wood, I have to adapt. On the flip side, I have found portions of bondo/wood filler in the panels that don't give me the same resistance as the grain of the wood which causes my chisel to slide right through another detail. The secret is out! None of my blocks are perfect, but its how I deal with the mistakes that might give the illusion otherwise.


After about 30 minutes I was finally finished with the four patches that I had to finish up. Now that its carved, I really don't know if I will ever get around to printing it. If there is anyone that has interest in a print, please let me know because that is subject to change.

One down, two to go!


As they say, "On to the next one..."


This above calavera, number two of three, that is inspired by pin stripers and hot rod culture. I plan to carve the forehead with more filagree, be sure to check back and see how it turns out. Stay tuned!

Comments