Preparation for MakeShift's Concrete Mixer


Thursday morning I decided to go into work late to try some last minute concrete prototypes.


My Dad laser cut this Harley Davidson logo out of crazy foam, you know the stuff that you find at craft stores that usually are next to precut shapes of hearts and clovers and such. Well it turns out that you can laser cut this foam safely! The only problem that I found was that the foam re-heals itself in places so I still had to come at it with an exacto knife.


I quickly built a wooden frame and attached it to glass in order to get the shiniest front face possible. The crazy foam has been sprayed with Super77 to stick it to the glass. This was done as a precaution once I pour the concrete I don't want the foam lifting. I don't know what the foam concrete texture will look like but hope that it will compliment the shiny surface caused by the glass. 


After pouring the concrete I remembered that Sedrick was going to be in attendance at the MakeShift: Concrete Mixer. I just had to make something for him to cast, so I quickly cut a strip of steel on the bandsaw.


I started free-handing the curves to make a bow tie "cookie cutter" that Sedrick could pour concrete into but found that it was best to use some wooden bow ties and a forming hammer.



All of this steel was cold formed so it has a bit of whip to it and resisted my bending. To compensate I would over bend the steel until it hugged the wooden form beneath. 


The binder clips are being used to hold the form closed. I thought about welding the steel closed but time was of the essence.  


Not to bad for a spur of the moment idea, next to pour the cement.

Stay tuned to see how it turns out!

Comments