Re-Keying the BMW Ignition


As some of you might know already, I lost my BMW key during the long Wisconsin winter. I honestly have no idea where I could have lost it. I thought I left it in Wisconsin before leaving for South Carolina on a business trip, but now I'm just not sure. 

Well anyway I digress. I called a few locksmiths around town, one which wouldn't even touch this job, and the other quoting me almost $70.00 to rekey the existing lock and I would have to take the ignition off and drop it off with him.

The true maker/cheapskate/tinkerer inside me just about flipped at that price quote, so I shopped around online and found replacement key blanks for $4 a piece. I got three.

So taking it to a shop was out of the question, looks like I have to learn how to take apart a lock and cut a key myself. Luckily my Dad told me that he lost the key for his old Honda motorcycle when he was a kid, so I figured that this would be no problem. (He also told me that he used to take locks apart and figure out the mechanisms when he was only 12! That means I have a lot of lost time to make up for!)


Anyway, I started by carefully prying apart the lock assembly.


Tiny O-Ring that is just above a plastic washer that keeps the lock from falling out the front. I used a needle nose pliers to remove the plastic washer and the tumblers fell out the front.

Once you have the actual mechanism out. Test to make sure you have the right key for your lock.



The key slid in smoothly. So it was correct. I didn't know how simple these mechanisms were! If you look closely you can see that there are 5 tumblers in this lock. Do you notice that the tumbler closest to the front, which I will refer to as #1, and the #4 tumbler are not sitting flush with the cylinder? In this instance, these are the the two positions that I will need to file with a jewelers file in order to make the key. Use a calipers or ruler to carefully remove the key and mark out the locations of the tumblers on the key. File those locations until you can slide the key in and have all the tumblers flush with the cylinder.

IMPORTANT: When filing the key, be sure to make the transitions between tumblers as smooth as possible by cutting a 45 degree angle. If you create valleys, or journals that are too sharp, or leave a bur on your key it is possible to get your new key stuck in the lock. I left a ridge on my 3rd key which my Dad helped me get out by wiggling it back and forth, over and over again, so I speak from experience.


Bingo!

Once you are satisfied with how all the tumblers are seated try to turn the cylinder in the body of the lock assembly, if it spins freely when the key is inserted you have successfully made your first key, if not DO NOT FRET! Simply remove the cylinder again and keep filing the journals until the tumblers are all flush with the cylinder.


Once everything turns smoothly and you are able to remove the key, begin to assemble the lock mechanism again. I would say that just about 45-60 minutes later I was able to file three new keys for my BMW motorcycle. It always makes me happy when I save a little money AND I learn a new skill.


All Done!

That same night I went back to my apartment and quickly replaced the lock. The BMW started right up after sitting all winter! Success! I hope these instructions help you if you ever find yourself in a similar situation. After all, if the lock is already "broken" you might as well try and fix it, right?

Comments