Screwdriver Submission Pt.1


As some of you might have seen GrindstoneMKE just started and the first month is to redesign, recreate, or just create a screwdriver. Well I started right away on taking this attractive shaped screwdriver and recreating it with uncommonly used woods. 


Back to the lathe. Honestly I think its save to say that the wood lathe is my favorite tool in the shop. I have the most experience with it, not to mention it was a gift from my Opa on my 18th birthday. When some kids get the hottest technology, cars, or fancy clothes I get power tools.

The above stock came as a 1" square turning blank, the first step is always to make it concentric.


Bocote all centered and ready to be shaped.


Rememer this is the shape that I am looking to achieve, slight deviation will be fine.


I used a caliper to find the length of the screwdriver that I am basing these off and identified flow lines that I used a pen to mark on the wood.


Voluptuous shape. I love it.  


Here I am applying a friction finish that is composed of Naptha, wax, and a few other ingredients that give the woods a shine and completely dry after I take it off the lathe.


All done, the only thing I need to do is part off the wood.


I love the shine, I was also able to make some extra plugs a short time after the handles.


BUT two screwdrivers aren't enough. If I am going to make a screwdriver for GrindstoneMKE I am going to make it worth my time and make a few. The above wood is Quina and started in the same 1" square stock that the Bocote came. Once it was shaped into a concentric circle I started working on shaping it in the same fashion that i did the Bocote.


All paired off and ready for the next step. 


My inspiration for using these woods is that they are so beautiful by themselves, all the old screwdrivers that I see are all painted and chipping off to reveal this beautiful grain underneath. What if I made a set of screwdrivers that were so beautiful that you would never want to paint the surface to hide the grain?

Stay tuned to see the progress and what comes next for my GrindstoneMKE entry!

Comments