Missing Motorcycle parts? No problem!


Well the Saga of the Troublesome Triumph continues...

A few weekends ago I was working on the Triumph, and I thought I was sooooo close to starting it up for the first time but I found myself missing more parts (it feels like it never ends). According to my parts catalogue I am still missing a 'keeper' that prevents the throttle cable from being pulled into the throttle housing.



All I can say is, 'Thank god for Frankie Flood selling me that South bend lathe.' As the title of this blog post suggests, because of the South bend lathe I was able to run down to the basement, grab some aluminum stock, and turn this prototype out in no time. Creating this part reminds me of a story that Frankie Flood once told me about turning a bolt for an old motorcycle that parts were scarce. It might not be threads(I don't know if i'm ready to take on that animal) but my first custom made part for a motorcycle!


Here is the initial fitment before sliding it all the way into the housing.


This is how the collar sits in its final position. Unfortunately, something mechanically still doesn't feel right because when everything is buttoned up it appears that the carburetor slide is open halfway. Good think is that I have plenty more material to experiment with until I get the correct fitment.

Stay tuned!

Comments