Raoul Deal, Artist and Mentor


Throwback Wednesday? Is that even a thing?

Well it is now. As I was going through some photos on my hard drives I ran across some photos that I took of an exhibit that I helped print. I first met Raoul Deal during my freshman year of college. He was my 2D concepts teacher as well as 3D concepts, and he must have seen something in me because from sophomore to junior year I was lucky enough to work along side him in his studio thanks to the school of undergraduate research. I put in long hours in his studio repairing his woodcuts, hand printing massive blocks as well as using the intaglio press to edition his work. This was an invaluable experience for me because it gave me the understanding of all the hard work that it takes to become a exhibiting artist.





All inked up!


Detail shot of the above print before it was printed.

Raoul continues to be an amazing mentor and role model. I am so proud to say that I had the opportunity to work with him so closely.

Thanks Raoul!

Stay tuned to see what's next!

Comments