Turning a new chisel handle


Chisels are expensive, plain and simple.

If you go walking into a woods store such as WoodCraft or Rockler you could easily find yourself paying say, $75-150 easy on a new chisel. Well I am determined to make my own tools whenever I can to 1) Save money 2) Have the experience 3) Make the tools that I want to use.


I started this project off with a long strip of mahogany. I didn't break any of the edges off of the turning stock because I know I will make quick work of it. It is sort of unsettling when your work piece is off centered and, just about, walking the lathe across the table due to the vibrations.


It wasn't before long that I had the material spinning true. I started removing excess material until I settled on the shape below.


I decided to base this shape on a chisel that I own already, but lengthen it slightly. I see a lot of old turners using chisels with long handles and want a set for myself. The longer chisels allow the turner to cradle the handle under their arm near their chest. This provides better stability and control.

Although it isn't pictured, I finished this project by attaching a copper ferrule to the business end.

Stay tuned!

Comments