Painting the Mini forge


Over the past several weeks I have been working with Frankie and Chad to create mini forges to use whenever I want to melt down small amounts of metal. Well this past weekend I was feeling very behind on actually test firing it, and painting it so I decided to run to the local Home Depot and pick up High temp Engine enamel.


Frankie decided to paint his red, and admittedly that was an option for me as well I have plenty of red caliper paint in the garage, I decided to be different and paint mine gloss black.


The paint coated the surface beautifully, you know what they say, when it comes to painting prep work is everything. The steel container was sandblasted by Chad, degreased and then painted.


A little bit about the design of this particular forge, The handle was re purposed from a slag hammer and flux core welded to the top. Chad prepared the top by putting some spot welds around the perimeter before casting refractory cement. The tapered vent was created with a disposable "dixie" cup that was hot glued to a substrate.


The base is upside down in the above photo, but the inside of the furnace was lined with 1" thick kao wool that was painted with rigidizer. The furnace will be heated with mini propane torches(up to two torches), and can be held in place with 1/4"-20 bolt(s). 

I tried to test fire the furnace and it heats up super fast with just one torch, I can't wait to see what happens when I hook up a second torch!

Stay tuned to see some liquid metal!

Comments