Triumph Tiger still doesn't want to start


This past weekend, in preparation for the Brew town Rumble, I started seriously working on the Tiger Cub. I just about had everything ready but it STILL failed to kick over. 

Why oh why would this happen to me?


My Dad even lent a helping hand to work on the Tiger cub. It was very helpful having someone bounce ideas off of. My Dad even was the one that realized that my ignition timing was way off. On a 1968 Triumph Tiger cub the points open and close based off a cam located on the right side of the engine. The points are primarily closed until the cam comes around and opens up the points which sends the stored energy to the spark plug, correct me if I am wrong but this is the opposite of some other motorcycles. When I set the timing I had the spark plug firing during the exhaust stroke, how stupid! After some careful measurements and I don't know how many times rotating the engine by hand. I can guarantee the plug is firing during the compression stroke. 

But still... no combustion. 

Drat!

Running out of daylight and other commitments, I had to pack it in for the night.


After seriously thinking about everything I could have done wrong and some internet searches I think I have some solutions. First off, when I pressed down the float ticker I didn't have any signs of a richer condition. According to my online searches, when you compress the fuel tickler my thumb should be wet with gas. Problem #2, the inline fuel filter was dirty with crud from the gas tank. Next time I have a chance to work on it I will focus on the carburetor. Seems like a fuel delivery issue seeing that I have spark and timing is correct.

Stay tuned!

Comments