Back to the OEM Piston


When I got home from work on friday I was determined to get the Triumph running. When Frankie was over this past weekend he suggested that the new piston that I put into the engine was too high of a compression piston that there was virtually no space for combustion to happen. We both came to that conclusion after retorquing the head back on the engine the piston was coming into contact with the valves(or at least we think thats why the engine was IMPOSSIBLE to turn over).


So with a few hand tools, the engine came apart again. I am getting pretty good at taking this old engine apart, it will make it even sweeter when it actually runs!


Off with the head! 


I cleaned up the old OEM piston by mading sure all oil passageways and area for the rings were completely clear of engine sludge.

It polished up quite nicely actually.


Here is a view of the new piston that I used instead of the OEM one. You can see how large the dished top is on this piston. I unfortunately threw away the box for it so I can't cross reference what piston this was actually intended for, who knows maybe once I feel more confident in getting a 48 year old bike back on the road I will try using a more competitive racing piston.


In comparison to the old piston quite a difference.


Ok, pull the cylinder off and your left with four engine studs. I removed all but one, the last one felt seized in the block and I really didn't want to create an opportunity to break anything else.


Alright, moment of truth time. To remove the piston I first removed two circlips that prevent the grudgeon pin from moving. They are located on either side of piston. I put down multiple blue shop towels on either side of the connecting rod to prevent the circlips from falling down into the engine. If one of them fell into the engine, game over man. I would have had to split the cases of the engine AGAIN just to pull out a circlip, and that ain't happening.


Everything went well, I was able to get the piston out safely. Here is a comparison of the two pistons side by side.


The OEM piston is back in the engine, everything went together smoothly, so now lets get this motor started, right?

Stay tuned!

Comments