Forge Gas line development


It was a beautiful day out yesterday and I decided to take my vise out into the driveway and just sit and work on the forge gas lines after my meeting with Chad and Frankie.


At the meeting we decided on the direction that we wanted to go with our forges and some modifications that I had to make to the original design that I was working on. So that meant another trip to the local hardware store to pick up some new connectors.


Luckily I was also able to find some fittings that I couldnt get at the last store I went to. I have gone to two hardware stores and bought all the fittings/connectors that I needed and will STILL have to go to another store to get the final fittings I need for the third burner.



Refrigerator tubing! I picked up 20' of this and will manage to give everyone two 20" sections to connect to the burner assembly of their forge.


This is the first time I am using this kind of tubing with compression fittings but what I decided to do was use the "3 wrap" teflon-like tape to coat the male threads, and then crank the compression fitting down over those threads. We will have to see if there are any leaks later but I am very optimistic. The connections seem very tight.


Cutting the pipe is as easy as using one of these clamping pipe cutters. The key is to just go slow. Clamp a little more, spin the tool, clamp more, spin again until your left with a clean cut. 

I did go back and used a file to de bur my edges. I would suggest you do the same.


All cut and ready to connect to the plumbing. I should mention that all the copper pipe that we are using is 3/8" diameter and is rated for liquid gas applications.


Here is a mock up of the jet system that we will be using to force propane into the forge. The assembly is comprised of a Mig welding tip, 1/4" adapter, and an elbow compression fitting(1/4" to 3/8" compression fitting).


Here is a top down view of how far I got today, I will be sure to fill you guys(and girls) in to all the supplies needed to create one assembly in another blog post.


All done for the day and I have two of three burners just about finished. I will have to go to the store to get more T-fittings sometime this week but I am very optimistic that in another two-three weeks we will be ready to forge some damascus!

Comments