Game Over Man, Game over.


What a drag. About a week ago I was working on the Tiger cub, and was trying to kick start it after changing the higher compression "wrong" piston out with the OEM piston, and "POP!"
I immediately knew something was wrong because I felt resistance in the kick starter shaft which felt like a backfire, and then I lost all spring to the kick starter shaft. To put in other words, I knew something was seriously wrong/broken when I could no longer turn the engine over with the kickstarter.

Bad news bears.

I initially started by taking the outer timing cover off and inspecting the kickstarter spring which would be the reason why it would not spring back up but found that it was in the correct spot, but was not engaging anything. So I took the inner transmission cover off to find the picture you see below.


Yes.... Thats right folks. I completely fractured my layover low gear, just looked it up tonight, another $50 part.

And to top it all off, the aluminum casting is cracked in two spots. For those of you non-motor heads out there it looks like I will have to completely disassemble the engine again, make sure that no small pieces of gear have contaminated the rest of the engine, split the cases, learn to oxy/acetalyne weld the aluminum case, actually weld the aluminum casting, find a new gear, and put it all back together and try it all again.

People ask me why I don't just quit and if the bike has sentimental value, to put it plainly, no this bike does not have any sentimental value, and I will not sell it. I was never raised a quitter, and I promised myself that I will see this project through to the end. Besides, I am learning SOOOOO much, and thats what its all about.

Learning. 

Yeash..... Send your prayers my way.

Stay tuned! 


Comments