Yvette Sanchez Work at Zoom Symposium


A few weeks ago was the ZOOM symposium which was held primarily at Kenilworth, but happened throughout the city. This large exhibition brought in metalsmiths, sculptures, jewelers and more from all over the U.S (The farthest I heard was I some from El Paso). I am particularly proud to have made it to this exhibition and show support for my girlfriend who worked countless hours helping to set up this event while also making work for the show.


Cabinets and cabinets full of new and innovative sculptures and jewelry.


I just love this necklace that was made by Yvette Sanchez. Every wooden flower was hand carved and individually dyed to create this rainbow of colors. Yvette's work infuses her personal experiences and learned techniques to explore her heritage. 


This piece was also part of Yvette's work and features skulls that she has been collecting over the years. One skull I 3D printed for her, and then we later electro formed it in copper. In this piece she explored new techniques such as wood turning, leather working, and fibers and combining all that into her mastery of metal smithing.


And this alter Yvette created/formed these copper colored pastries that are commonly found as treats for Day of the Dead. She incorporated all of the wood chips that she removed from the flowers surrounding the alter. Sadly in the above photo it seems as though her presentation was altered slightly as the evening went on.


A really interesting metals piece, I wish I would have grabbed the name of the artist on a lot of this work.


If you couldn't already tell,

I am SO PROUD of my wonderful, talented girlfriend who played a HUGE role in making sure everything ran smoothly, and not only that but she had some really great work in this exhibit. I could not be prouder. My biggest regret is not snapping more pictures of all the beautiful artwork at this exhibition.

Stay tuned to see what happens next! 

Comments