Cleaning the CB650



This past weekend I decided to give some CB650 parts a bath to get all the road debris and oil off. The parts washer I got a from Chad a few weeks before and I have been struggling to find a use for it. The thought of flammable, or potentially damaging fluids sitting in a parts washer sort of turns me off. So a good friend of mine, Nick over at Motofied, turned me on to Super Clean.


Think of Super clean as a more powerful version of Simple Green, and its even bio degradable as well! The biodegradable part was a big sell for me, like I was saying before, I don't like the idea of having a vat of kerosene for cleaning.


I diluted the concentrated gallon of Super Clean 1:7, and started scrubbing engine parts before moving onto cleaning up the carburetor.


Above is the top end of the CB650 parts bike that I picked up a few months ago and it looked like the bike was not cleaned for a very long time. Stones and oil covered all the air fins, but with a little bit of elbow grease and a nylon brush I think I will be able to make it look good as new.

Moving onto the carburetor...


The jets were absolutely filthy! I have never ever worked on a carburetor in such dire need of a rebuild. When gasoline sits for a long time, it begins to break down and turn into a varnish. If it sits long enough it turns into almost a "greenish" adhesive.


Stay tuned to see what is in store next!

Comments