Blacksmithing Dreams


Some of you that stay to date on my blog know that awhile back Frankie, Chad, and myself built some "kick-butt" forges (more about that later) but the building doesn't end once you have a forge, you need an anvil, a stand to hold that anvil, along with all kinds of other holders so that my tools will be ready right when I need them. Yvette loves leather working and I grabbed some of her scraps in order to make some leather loops to hang all my hammers off the anvil stand I would be eventually making.


Ta-da! Proof of concept. After prepping a bunch of the leather loops, I went upstairs to my studio and started designing in CAD software two anvil stands. 


The first stand will be designed with 2" x 4" lumber and resembles a jenga tower. I discovered this design while searching Google for cheap, affordable anvil stands and stumbled across an image of a 500+ pound anvil perched on top of this tower.


I think what I was really drawn to about this design was the simplicity and cheap material cost. If I remember correctly all the lumber for the design costs about $25. Who said blacksmithing had to be expensive!


The next design that I created will be the base to a HUGE vice that my Uncle Rick dropped off at my parents house awhile back. I absolutely LOVE this vice so much. Within the first week I had it I immediately cleaned all the rust off of it and applied a coat of paste wax to prevent further rust.

This stand will be created out of 4"x4" lumber and then mounted to a 1/2" steel plate. The strapping on the side of the stand will be connected with lag bolts and prevent the lumber from splitting.


Now just to start stacking 2"x 4" until I get to the desired height just like in the drawing. Each layer is glued and nailed to prevent shifting.

Stay tuned!

Comments