Keep on doing what you love, and the rest will follow

I don't know if anyone reads this blog anymore, probably doubtful, as I have been so distant lately but personal experiences and reading a very thoughtful post on the Handverker blog really has me thinking about why I maintain this blog and how life has been so busy that I really haven't done much lately that I felt warrants a blog post.

Work at the museum has picked up a lot lately with custom orders and moving to a satellite location, that as soon as I come home from work, I need to walk the dog, cook dinner, and then by that time I am so exhausted I don't have the energy to start a project.

Now that isn't to say that I have been sitting on my butt doing nothing, I shot a lot of tintypes and ambrotypes out in the Milwaukee community, I photographed the Triumph tiger cub and BMW R75/5 on glass (ambrotype), I helped Joseph Mougel with FocusFest, I practically got the Bultaco Alpina back together just waiting for the last few parts. So you see I was busy since my last post, but I lack the motivation to share all these things on this blog, but why? Well I think its because I have been so busy interfacing with the community, and trying to find my place in the world that I have disconnected from technology all together in order to get back to the roots. I mean for gods sake, you would be lucky to find me even remove my computer from my backpack when I get home. I am tired of looking at the digital screen which is maybe why I have been building the 8x10 camera and 4x5 camera so much lately. Everything is all done with your hands, what you see is what you get.

I just wanted to tell anyone listening to, never give up, keep on making. Some people might be fine just coming home from work and watching television, maybe drinking an alcoholic beverage and just relaxing, but thats not the audience that I am targeting. I grew up watching my Dad research his next big project and my mom knitting every night after dinner. Its good to have personal projects, its good to have goals, but not only have goals, but to strive to make those things a reality!

I have to say that I feel pretty damn lucky to be surrounded by the people that I am. My best friend in the world Tony is one of the hardest working people I know, maintains a full time job and then trains for the OCR and Obstacle course races all over the country(and recently Canada) and gradually over two years has qualified for the World Championship Race! My friend Nick has been working a full time job and somehow after work still finds the time and energy to run his own custom motorcycle fabrication company. Yvette works as a bench jeweler and leatherworker by day, but off the clock she setup her studio at Yours Truly where she makes custom jewelry for clients. Everyone of them has put in the overtime in order to make their dreams come true, they are the reason that I keep on pushing myself to keep on making and doing what I love. Thank you.

If you put in the work and stay focused, nothing can keep you from your dreams and aspirations.

Comments