Cyanotype Examples


I will be teaching a cyanotype workshop later in February so I thought this would be a perfect time to get some of my old work up for the world to see.

The process of creating cyanotypes I was taught in a college photography course. I think this process is so fascinating because it mimics blueprints used in the past to replicate technical drawings, which if you know me I love the look of mechanical drawing blueprints! And not to mention, they are so simple to make! All you need is some special chemicals, a UV light (or something that casts UV rays: Fluorescent, Mercury Vapor, Metal Halide Bulb), and some patience!

So sit back, relax and enjoy!

P.S If you are looking at trying your hand at mixing your own chemistry, stop on over to Brinn Labs for the Cyanotype Workshop, I would be happy to show you this technique!


All the following old cars that you will see are actually 4x5 negatives that are laid directly on the cyanotype paper. This shot was from an event called Cruise the Grove, held annually in Elm Grove, Wisconsin. All kinds of cars and motorcycles come from all over.


Above is another 4x5 negative, you can tell by the writing on the side, 'Kodax 400TMY - 2.' This was 400 speed film that I photographed and processed in college. The blueish haze covering most of the image was caused by improper print washing and is staining from the cyanotype mix.


Its winter now in Wisconsin, but looking back on warmer times, walking my dog and picking up dried leaves make great subject matter for cyanotype prints. This was from a fern that was growing in the neighbors yard.


Back in college I had an amazing opportunity to work with Frankie Flood on a project called, Democratizing Small Scale Manufacturing, and thats where I learned about CNC machining, 3D printing, and fabrication. During that internship, I came into Frankie's studio one day with a 4x5 camera that my Dad and I built and asked if I could photograph him for one of my final projects in photography class. He reluctantly agreed. I clumsily worked my way around the newly built camera and managed an overexposed image. Rats! But despite the overexposure, I love the rawness in the image and not to mention, this image was shot with a camera ENTIRELY built by my Dad and I over weekends!  Frankie's South bend lathe peeking out in the background. I love this image.


The image above shows just the versatility of the medium. Just because the process is called a cyanotype, doesn't mean that the image will be that rich prussian blue. This palm leaf was toned in a solution of green tea. The tannin in the tea causes the brownish color.


This is how the image started out like. Toning your cyanotypes makes a huge difference.


Another image created from a 4x5 negative. This image depicts the Humbolt street bridge. 


Above and below are the same image, but shows the diversity of this medium. The above image was printed on BFK Reeves paper, and below was printed on an old section of denim jeans. The cyanotype solution can be coated on just about anything that will soak into the fibers of the fabric, paper, wood(with mixed results).



What's interesting to mention is that the longer you expose objects such as leaves, you begin to pick up details such as the veins of the leaves.


This image was a digital image that was printed on Pictorico photo transparencies and then exposed to create the image. During an alternative photography class that I was taking in college I don't know what it was but I was just fascinated by shipyards and boats. This was one of three in a photo series about McKinley Marina.


Do you recognize who this individual is? This image is a famous photograph of Nikola Tesla. I was teaching another cyanotype workshop and was looking for interesting photos to use as examples. To create this image I used office transparencies and converted the positive image into a negative. Although I take no credit for the actual photograph, I was so satisfied by the exposure I like to bring this photograph out to use as an example of what is possible with supplies you could pickup at your local computer store.


Yet another 4x5 negative. I photographed this facade while visiting my sister in Virginia. This building is a few buildings down from my sisters store, I think it might have been a hotel, but I am not sure.

I hope you liked the work!

Stay tuned to check out what's up next!



Comments